Saturday, March 08, 2008


Nancy Lopez (born January 6, 1957 in Torrance, California) is one of the most accomplished women in the history of professional women's golf. She won the United States Girls Junior Amateur Golf Championship in 1972 and again in 1974. In her rookie year on the LPGA Tour, she won nine tournaments, and was named Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year in the same season. This feat has not been repeated to date. Lopez was inducted in the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1987. My good friend Jaye just purchased a set of Nancy's new golf clubs...so imagine my surprise when, at lunch last week, Nancy herself walked briskly through the restaurant! My friend Annette and I were seated at the bar, enjoying our lobster bisque and eggplant sandwich. I spotted Nancy on my left side, and breezily said, "Hi, Nancy!" as she walked by the bar. She feigned recognition of sorts, and replied, "Oh, hi there!" as if she had known me all her life. I'm not overly impressed by celebrities. But Nancy's easy friendliness and down-to-earth presence really impressed me. Way to go, Nancy! I may even consider your clubs the next time I'm shopping for a new five wood!

0 comments: